Wednesday, January 13, 2016

I Found My Easel

"H" Style Table Top Easel

Back in November 2015, when I started my acrylic painting project, I wrote of my quandary in choosing a painters easel.  I was surprised to learn there were so many details to consider when choosing an easel. I said back then that I was sure I would have an "ah ha" moment one day and know what the right easel was for me. I am tickled pink to say I have had my "ah ha" moment!

I fairly quickly ruled out the tripod model. I could see me getting tangled up in the legs and knocking one of those down with regularity. I gravitated to the "H" frame model right away. They appeared much more sturdy. But, I noticed that most of them, in my price range anyway, had a cross bar on the bottom that I was afraid my feet would run into if I wanted to get close the the canvas.

Then it dawned on me that, at my ranch where I spend 8 months of the year I don't have a room to make into a studio and I didn't fancy hauling one of those great big things back and forth. And, I certainly wasn't about to spring for two of them. Then I discovered the "H" frame table top easel. It's perfect. I can walk up and put nose on the canvas if I want and when I depart this location for the ranch I can fold it up and take it with me.

I can adjust the easel so that the canvas is positioned just where I want it. I had mentioned earlier that I wanted to be able to sit because of back issues but I have learned that even though my back will cut some sessions short every now and again it's alright because I now know I really feel more in my zone when I'm standing.

The moral of this story is, when I take my time and study on a thing, soon or later I have my ah ah moment and save myself a lot of money and frustration. I have already painted a couple of things using it and I just love it! I feel like a real "grown-up" painter.

©Kinsey Barnard


1 comment: