Friday, February 2, 2018

Monet Must Be Spinning In His Grave

Once upon a time, when I chose to express my creativity with a camera, I took a photograph which would become one of my all time favorites. I entitled it "Monet Aspen" To me it looks like a Monet only it is a Mother Nature Monet. I think Monet would have liked it too. It is a photograph of aspen trees reflected on a pond in Montana. I adore Monet and impressionism.

The other day I decided to try and paint the photograph. I suppose I should have known better but I couldn't help myself.



Monet Aspen - The Photograph

Monet Aspen - The Painting


 Well, what is one to say? I just have to laugh at myself. If Monet were to view my painting I am certain he would exclaim "mon Dieu!" and not in a pleasant way. My reaction was "Merde!"

Because I so often just go slapping paint on the canvas without any direction in mind I'm afraid I have become a little lacking in self discipline. I think I'm addicted to reckless abandon. It feels great to me but probably doesn't make for much of a painter.

Still, I want to learn how to paint with a purpose. I realize that if I'm going to do this I have to have a plan and work it. I must really think about what I'm going to do before I do it. It is so clear I did not do this when it came to painting the green leaves in this painting. I must remember to restrain myself and ponder with purpose. Probably an experienced painter could do this without thinking but I am a long way from there.

There's more to learn here than just painting. Painting is a great enterprise for developing patience and mindfulness, two qualities I wish to improve upon in my life in general.

As a means of my own encouragement ,I will say, I create absolutely delicious colors. Now if I could only make something of them.

Walker

No comments:

Post a Comment